[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 00:17:31 UTC 2016

> Ironically the image in the wiki for tourism=museum shows the national
> GALLERY. (which should be tagged museum, but the national gallery is
> showing art which the wiki is not mentioning, only "exhibitions on
> scientific, historical, cultural topics")
> It's a mess.
>
> > Obviously that's not the case and should be fixed.
>
> I think there is a need for sub tags in tourism=museum so that we can
> distinguish between a science, history, tech, ....or art museum.

actually if you call a gallery like the national gallery or the
Gemäldegalerie in Berlin an "art museum", you are not wrong, but you loose
one level of detail: a gallery as a kind of art museum only collects and
exhibits paintings, while more generic art museums might collect anything
related to art, like sculptures, video, paintings, prints, ...

2 problems with tourism=gallery: it is not clear, which kind of gallery is
intended, and either way "tourism" is not a nice key for these (neither is
it for museums).

Cheers,
Martin