[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discourage tourism=gallery

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Tue Feb 2 02:56:31 UTC 2016

On 2016년 02월 02일 01:17, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>     I think there is a need for sub tags in tourism=museum so that we can
>     distinguish between a science, history, tech, ....or art museum.
>
> actually if you call a gallery like the national gallery or the
> Gemäldegalerie in Berlin an "art museum", you are not wrong, but you
> loose one level of detail: a gallery as a kind of art museum only
> collects and exhibits paintings, while more generic art museums might
> collect anything related to art, like sculptures, video, paintings,
> prints, ...

I believe the German word "Galerie" is a short form for Gemäldegalerie
which is a place where paintings are on display.

However, the English word "Gallery" doesn't seem to have this specific
meaning. Mirriam-Webster includes "sculptures, etc"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallery

> 2 problems with tourism=gallery: it is not clear, which kind of gallery
> is intended, and either way "tourism" is not a nice key for these
> (neither is it for museums).

What would be a proper way to tag this?

amenity=museum
museum=art