[Tagging] Do-it-yourself versus hardware stores

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 11 11:31:01 UTC 2016

Large stocks of building materials and supporting construction materials
is what I would probably call a "builders merchant".

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/builders%27-merchant?q=builders+merchant

But note the third example sentence: "The boundaries between builders'
merchants and DIY operators is becoming increasingly blurred."

Buying enough stuff to put up a shelf might come under "DIY" but the
same stuff in quantities to build a new room extension is a different
ballgame and then I would search for a builders merchant in the area,
not a DIY shop.

//colin