[Tagging] path=hiking in use

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sun Feb 14 04:01:41 UTC 2016

I came across path=hiking subkey just now.

I was cleaning up some old tagging, and lamenting the highway=path rendering change (now my rural mountain trails are all rendered as sidewalks),
and I was considering changing them all to highway=trail, and then thought about a subkey of path, path=trail. But path=* in iD suggested path=hiking. I had never seen this before. Taginfo has 2100+ uses of this subkey, though it looks like they are all centered somewhere in Europe, with a few random ones aound everywhere.

If we can get this subkey  documented and approved, and change then ask for a rendering change in -carto to something not as infuriating as rendering mountain trails like sidewalks, I might be able to live with the highway=path tag.

Javbw