[Tagging] Wharf

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Feb 16 14:26:06 UTC 2016

TL;DR: man_made=quay unless objections are raised.

So I have a few nice harbour wharves to map...

I found landuse=wharf but it is only used 37 times:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=wharf

man_made=pier is almost certainly not the solution, as
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpier is explicit about
its use "for a raised walkway over water supported by pillars" - which a
wharf isn't: a wharf is solid masonry.

Ooops... I just found my solution while looking up details to document
my question - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharf [1]says "the term
_quay_ is common in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and many
other Commonwealth countries, and the Republic of Ireland, whereas the
term _wharf_ is more common in the United States". And indeed, looking
up "Quay" on Wikipedia redirects there - and the French language synonym
for wharf is "Quai" (though strangely it doesn't mention the French term
"môle" - which is a much better translation for "wharf"... I may have to
put that on my French Wikipedia TODO).

So, anyway, unless objections are raised, I'll be tagging wharves as
man_made=quay areas and I'll update
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dquay [2]which is
obviously incomplete (Now who is the numbskull who wrote this page ?
Ooops - it is me).

Links:
------
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharf