[Tagging] Art galleries/museums

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 19:37:24 UTC 2016

> > +0.5, I'd actually make the latter contemporary_art_gallery, although it
> is long, it removes the ambiguity that art_gallery still has
>
> yes, but then there are galleries that are still selling works of
> (post-)modern, not necessarily contemporary artists, which they used to
> represent when they still were alive and they continue to sell off their
> stock of multiples. "Edition Block" comes to my mind, allthough there
> might be better examples as they also represent many artists which are
> still alive and contemporary.
>
> it's complicated.

I would somehow still find it pertinent to call those "contemporary art
gallery", where the artists might be defunct but once had chosen this
gallerist to be represented by him. Even if for an art historian the post
modernists are no more "contemporary" in 2016, the gallery still can be
called "contemporary art gallery" if it already existed by the time the
represented artist was contemporary himself.

Cheers,
Martin