[Tagging] tailor: craft vs. shop

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Feb 18 11:42:20 UTC 2016

Tailoring is certainly a craft to me, comparable to shoemaking,
both in creating a new suit and making alterations/repairs.

However, while craft=shoemaker is correctly documented in the wiki [1],
(usage 2520), the tag craft=tailor was redirected to shop=tailor [2]
a year ago.

Currently craft=tailor is used 1585 times, shop=tailor 4876 times.
Some of the latter might include shops for tailoring accessories,
aka shop=sewing (guessing - I don't know).

I see no reason to discourage the more consistent tagging
"based on taginfo and prior usage" as the redirect was reasoned.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:craft%3Dshoemaker
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:craft%3Dtailor

Tom