[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Aquatics centre

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Jan 6 14:55:27 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2016/01/05 13:02:

>         leisure=ducking
>     vs.
>         leisure=sports_centre
>         sports_centre=ducking
>
> What is your stance on
> leisure=pitch
> sport=diving/swimming ?
>
> (I'm not proposing this, it is just a question to understand your proposal).

If I understand your question correctly, you are probing how far I would go with
structuring. As you pointed out in the other thread, we need a balance between
tag detail and structure, your example above (merging pools under pitch)
would tip towards over-structuring.

As for the actual place of performing the sport, we have leisure=track for
predominantly 1-dimensional performance, pitch for a ground where players move
in two dimensions, and pool which adds depth.

That we currently tag swimming_pool probably also when it is used for diving is
due to history and helps to remind the human mapper that it is not a pool table,
taginfo(diving_pool)=0, so while I would not start from scratch with it, but keep
it as we have it.

tom