[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Aquatics centre

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Jan 6 15:12:48 UTC 2016

John Willis wrote on 2016/01/06 02:35:

> Most "sports centres" are built around the idea of pitches/fields/courts of some sort.
[...]
> Aquatics center is its own beast. It is a stand-alone facility dedicated to swimming,
 > with 1 main pool and related facilities (usually many pools) and no pitches ...

But the stand-alone criterion holds for other sports as well. You have multi-purpose
sports_centres, opposed to single-purpose ones.

You have the Velodrome for track cycling, baseball campuses, stadiums where you can
perform nothing else than american football or hurling, the ice rink for hockey and
figure skating, and those aquatic sport_centres.

But they are all purpose-built to perform one to many sports. The distinguishing
criterion is a different one - it is whether to use the purpose-built place
(at least for the organised form), or use other facilities: such as the highways
for the marathon, the countryside for cross-country skiing, the natural rock for
outdoor climbing. Downhill skiing comes in between with the slope dedicated for
the season.

tom