[Tagging] highway = track vs. residential

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Fri Jan 8 09:50:37 UTC 2016

* Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> [160107 23:35]:
> My parents house is in a pretty rural part of Arizona and distinguishing between tracks and driveways or even residential roads can be difficult there. So my initial instinct was to say leave the ways in that part of Colorado as tracks as it can be hard to tell on the imagery.

> But looking at the satellite imagery in the area you linked, they clearly look like unpaved residential roads and dirt driveways.

> I’d leave the driveways in but change the tagging to:

> highway=service
> service=driveway
> surface=unpaved
> access=private

I would do almost the same, but would leave out the access=private,
as this is difficult to determine from the aerial imagery, and is
implied for service=driveway anyway.

> For the roads, clearly wider and serving multiple houses in the satellite imagery and with names showing in the 2015 Tiger imagery, I’d tag them as

> highway=residential
> surface=unpaved
> name=(whatever the Tiger 2015 imagery says)

I would use highway=unclassified instead of residential as long as we
are not inside a settlement; the implied rules like default speed limits
tend to be different for inner-town roads and these rural roads and the
tagging should distinguish between these types of road as well.

Wolfgang