[Tagging] highway = track vs. residential

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:05:44 UTC 2016

> I would use highway=unclassified instead of residential as long as we
> are not inside a settlement; the implied rules like default speed limits
> tend to be different for inner-town roads and these rural roads and the
> tagging should distinguish between these types of road as well.

I agree with everything written in all the posts above, besides this
citation which I'd like to relativate in parts: track does not seem
appropriate, they'll either be service or residential roads, as long as
they don't provide through access and residences are sparse like in this
example. (through access but unimportant (i.e. there are nearby
alternatives) and denser residences would still be residential IMHO, while
through way / connections generally tend to be at least unclassified (or
tertiary, etc.)). I wouldn't use unclassified for a situation like the
posted one, which is merely a short stub (no through traffic possible) and
a dead end.

Cheers,
Martin