[Tagging] Public buildings

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sat Jan 9 23:56:59 UTC 2016

W dniu 10.01.2016 0:20, Tom Pfeifer napisał(a):

> Both 'amenity=public_building' and 'building=public' are problematic,

Sure.

> but for different reasons. Merging their wiki representations mixes the
> arguments against both, and makes improvements even more difficult.
>
> 'amenity=public_building' is an unspecific use of the amenity key, and
> should be replaced with a more specific value.
>
> 'building=public' describes some form of accessibility using a key
> that should describe the architectural type of a building.

Just for the record: "accessibility" brings some unwanted connection
with "access" key, which we're not discussing now, as far as I
understand.

You could be right, but IIRC when discussing church example I was once
told that it's not that building=church+amenity=museum is about
describing form (building) and function (amenity), as I thought. And
indeed, we have some pretty popular tags like building=retail (~200k
uses), which is mixing these two factors.

But if we really want to separate form and function, it would be better
to not have something "amenity=public_building" (rather "amenity=yes" in
general, when in doubt), while "building=public" sounds more reasonable
for me (general category for building types other than for private
people to live in).

--
"Завтра, завтра всё кончится!" [Ф. Достоевский]