[Tagging] Marking climbing proposal as "in use"

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Jan 29 09:47:12 UTC 2016

Anders Fougner wrote on 2016/01/29 10:06:
> Den 29.01.2016 02.21, skrev Mike Thompson:
>> What one person may aid, another may free (I am using "free climbing" in the US sense  [1]).
 >> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_climbing

that wikipedia page is quite messed up by an recent edit war about the use
of "free climbing" in different parts of the world, the current version
is historically wrong.

>> A typical route rating would be "5.9/A3 or 5.13" (in the US) meaning if you would free the entire route you would encounter 5.13 climbing, but it could be
>> divided into some 5.9 free climbing and some A3 aid climbing.
> Then maybe you could use one tag for each of those grades:
>      climbing:grade:aided                     = A3
>      climbing:grade: yds_class              = 5.9/A3
>      climbing:grade:yds_class[max]    = 5.13

or
climbing:grade:yds_class:aided = 5.9/A3
climbing:grade:yds_class = 5.13
(no suffix assuming free as in all other schemes)

> You might even add a converted grade (although the conversion isn't unique since 5.13 might be anything between 7c+ and 8b):

No! Conversion of grades is subjective and can be done by the
data consumer. The grade should be in the native system of the
area. We also do not convert maxspeed=15mph into km/h tags, since
that can be computed.

tom