[Tagging] Marking climbing proposal as "in use"

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Jan 29 14:19:59 UTC 2016

On 29/01/16 10:17, Anders Fougner wrote:
>> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_climbing
>>
>> that wikipedia page is quite messed up by an recent edit war about
>> the use
>> of "free climbing" in different parts of the world, the current version
>> is historically wrong.
> Certainly, it doesn't match the historical use in my country either.
>
> Den 29.01.2016 10.47, skrev Tom Pfeifer:
>>> You might even add a converted grade (although the conversion isn't
>>> unique since 5.13 might be anything between 7c+ and 8b):
>> No! Conversion of grades is subjective and can be done by the
>> data consumer. The grade should be in the native system of the
>> area. We also do not convert maxspeed=15mph into km/h tags, since
>> that can be computed.
>>
>> tom
> Sorry, I wasn't specific enough here; I meant if there is an official
> converted grade.
> In my area the guidebooks usually have two grades for each route;
> Norwegian grades and French grades. In such cases, when there is an
> "official conversion" (but doesn't really match the conversion tables
> on e.g. the wiki-link above [1]), I think both can be added.
Adding data from guidebooks is not acceptable, they are copyright. This
has always been my concern with climbing routes, ground surveying can
show locations, but when I used to climb all grades and route details
came from a copyright guidebook. A mapper who has made the climb and
assessed the grade personally can add this, but will this normally be
the source?

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)