[Tagging] amenity=retirement_home and social facility

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Jul 2 12:52:57 UTC 2016

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 8:08 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
> few (maybe 3 in 100) will be younger, but have some kind of mobility or
> cognitive impairment that basically is the same situation.

My uncle was in a hospital-like nursing home (very institutional) which as full of old people, while he was in his 40's - because a big piece of his brain was damaged and as also unable to walk. He was the rare younger person in a place dominated by elderly people that needed constant care, and was there for years. There will always be a few people outside of a bell curve, but it was a "nursing home" - not some elderly group home with everyone playing ground golf outside and making puzzles in the rec room.

My wife works in special Education, with students with autism and other mental issues - they may be trying to teach them language and words for an hour and how to properly go to the restroom the next hour - they are both care - but no one is confusing the nursing homes with special education schools or care facilities.

A month ago, my 90 year old godmother refused to eat and her condition deteriorated and ended up (for her last few weeks) in a "care facility" of some type (a "hospital" in Japanese just for sick very-elderly people) -  that, to put it very bluntly, was the last small step for many people before their imminent death - every function of their life, down to moving them with a "turning sheet" on the bed and raising their head to eat is handled. It is a very far cry from a group home for addicts or parolees, a "senior community" of 55s and up that mostly live independently, or a nursing home where people live out their lives with nurses and orderlies for a decade or more (like my Mother in Law does or my Great Grandmother did).

Being able to separate them in some way (you guys decide) would be great. I know there are grey areas and overlap, but there are "stereotypes" of these facilities for a reason - there are thousands upon thousands of them in each country that can be sorted easily into separate buckets with no ambiguity.  If handling the last 5% is an issue, them maybe some extended foo:bar=yes tag extensions can help define the unicorns is in order - but there needs to be some basic tag that split them up first. Having several to choose from (As I understand it) make it easier for taggers and parsers to figure out what the amenity is.

Javbw.