[Tagging] Additions to public_transport scheme

Wed Jul 6 21:39:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

I suggest two additions to the public transport scheme:

1. a "placename" (or "place") tag for stop_position, platform and
stop_area. I notice that most public transport companies have a somewhat
separate idea of a place name and a stop name. For example: "New York,
Grand Central Terminal", where on timetables both are used but on the
stop itself only the stopname ("Grand Central Terminal").
There is no consistent way of tagging this.

For example:
- in most of rural Belgium, "<placename> <stopname>" is used (as in
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/59518#map=17/51.23869/4.57898&layers=T)
- in most of the Netherlands, but also urban Belgium, "<stopname>" is
used
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/59518#map=16/52.2148/5.2800&layers=T)
- in other places you see combinations like "<placename>, <stopname>",
"stopname>, <placename>" or "<PLACENAME> - <stopname>", as here in
Bordeaux for some stops
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/59518#map=17/44.84029/-0.57879&layers=T)

I suggest setting the placename in another tag "placename" which is
valid on stops, platforms and stop_areas (and by extension on the "old"
tags like highway=bus_stop and their rail variants)

2. A tag "formula" on route and route_master relations, which is valid
for special (marketing) formulas within a network or spanning multiple
networks.
For example, in the Netherlands there is the "brand" of R·NET for fast
interurban bus and subway lines. The brand is owned by an independent
entity and local governements decides whether certain lines are elegible
or required to have the brand, whereas bus operators operate these
lines. For example, within one concession, Connexxion runs green
(Connexxion's brand) colour city and rural buses and red R·NET buses).

I suggest allowing a formula to distinguish lines which have a special
formula.

---
What is the procedure for addendums to existing tag structures? Should
there be a formal voting process?

With regards,

Tijmen