[Tagging] Proposal to Change Road Classification, Road Surface, Road Condition, and Add Number of Lanes

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:36:54 UTC 2016

You obviously did a lot of work in preparing your proposal and for that I
thank you Alberto. However, I'm afraid I have to agree with Tom. To
redefine the current highway tagging structure to the extent you suggest
would be next to impossible given the free-thinking nature of many mappers,
and any potential gains resulting from those changes would be minor
compared to the amount of effort they would require to implement.

Some of the ideas you present will come up against stiff opposition as
well. For example, separating urban and rural roads and combining dual
carriageways are not ones I could support.

Regards,
Dave

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 12:32 AM, Dominic Coletti <dcoletti.dcair at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the UK you can add a fourth one to that list - where Royal Mail think
> you are, for the purposes of addressing post. Doesn't correspond to any of
> the first three options.
>
> This is similar in some pats of the US. USPS addresses are completely
> different from the other three.
>
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> In the UK you can add a fourth one to that list - where Royal Mail think
>> you are, for the purposes of addressing post. Doesn't correspond to any of
>> the first three options.
>>
>> On 2016-03-06 16:21, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>> Am 06.03.2016 um 11:28 schrieb moltonel <moltonel at gmail.com>:
>>
>> City limits rarely match the limits of urban areas. On one extreme there
>> are multi-city agglomerations, on the other there are rural areas that are
>> inside cities, for example in France where there is no "no-city's land",
>> even the remotest countryside is part of a 'municipalité'.
>>

>> Actually there's 3 different kind of settlement: one for the law on
>> traffic (sign city limit), one political (the place and the area around
>> that it governs, municipalité) and the socio-geographical place, where
>> someone would say he's inside this place.
>>
>> The first one is the one that the OP has asked about I believe.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martin
>>
> --
>
> *C/CMSgt Dominic Coletti, CAP*
> Whiskey Flight Sergeant, Raleigh-Wake Composite Squadron
> (H) 919-463-9554
> U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
> GoCivilAirPatrol.com <http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/>
> <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-Air-Patrol/107647995924164>