[Tagging] Proposal to Change Road Classification, Road Surface, Road Condition, and Add Number of Lanes

Dominic Coletti dcoletti.dcair at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:05:40 UTC 2016

I truly find this proposal to be logical and well thought out. However, I
think that there may be better ways to pursue these goals other than
replacing the millions of ways on OSM tagged with the current schema. That
said, I think there is room to add new tags that serves a similar purpose
to what you describe.

Sincerely,
Dominic

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You obviously did a lot of work in preparing your proposal and for that I
> thank you Alberto. However, I'm afraid I have to agree with Tom. To
> redefine the current highway tagging structure to the extent you suggest
> would be next to impossible given the free-thinking nature of many mappers,
> and any potential gains resulting from those changes would be minor
> compared to the amount of effort they would require to implement.
>
> Some of the ideas you present will come up against stiff opposition as
> well. For example, separating urban and rural roads and combining dual
> carriageways are not ones I could support.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 12:32 AM, Dominic Coletti <dcoletti.dcair at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> In the UK you can add a fourth one to that list - where Royal Mail think
>> you are, for the purposes of addressing post. Doesn't correspond to any of
>> the first three options.
>>
>> This is similar in some pats of the US. USPS addresses are completely
>> different from the other three.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In the UK you can add a fourth one to that list - where Royal Mail think
>>> you are, for the purposes of addressing post. Doesn't correspond to any of
>>> the first three options.
>>>
>>> On 2016-03-06 16:21, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>>

>>> sent from a phone
>>>
>>> Am 06.03.2016 um 11:28 schrieb moltonel <moltonel at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> City limits rarely match the limits of urban areas. On one extreme there
>>> are multi-city agglomerations, on the other there are rural areas that are
>>> inside cities, for example in France where there is no "no-city's land",
>>> even the remotest countryside is part of a 'municipalité'.
>>>

>>> Actually there's 3 different kind of settlement: one for the law on
>>> traffic (sign city limit), one political (the place and the area around
>>> that it governs, municipalité) and the socio-geographical place, where
>>> someone would say he's inside this place.
>>>
>>> The first one is the one that the OP has asked about I believe.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Martin