[Tagging] Proposal to Change Road Classification, Road Surface, Road Condition, and Add Number of Lanes

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Tue Mar 8 23:48:53 UTC 2016

Wow Alberto, you have put a lot of thought into this. I agree its needed
and think the model would serve us a lot better than the way its done
now. But I see a couple of problems, first, we have a huge data set
using the existing model. Very hard to change that. Secondly, I suspect
not all contributers to OSM are familiar with the sort of roads that
have prompted your proposal. So, wide spread support may be a bit hard
to find.

But I'd be the last to suggest you give up something just because its
impossible !

So, lets pick it over.

Firstly, maybe your categories might need to be a bit finer grained.
For example, the jump, in Rural, 3 Tertiary and 4 Unclassified is too
big. I live on a rural road, its not a connecting road and it is owned
and maintained (occasionally) by the Municipality.  So its definitely a
public access road but not one a routing engine should consider (except
start and end stages of course). Such roads are very common.

I am not sure I like the classification you use for C Road Condition. It
seems a bit too focused on maintenance models rather than providing an
indication of how a traveler might find it. I suggest what a map (or
whatever) user wants to know is "should I use this road ?". And that, of
course, is dependent on vehicle, maybe affected by weather, maintenance
cycles and so on.

Alberto, I'd like to see this model refined, lets make out that we are
starting fresh, get it right and then look to see if some of the result
can be incorporated into the current model, or even a long term transition ?

David