[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 00:42:16 UTC 2016

Javbw
> On Mar 19, 2016, at 7:15 AM, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> I agree that an importance tag for mountains is not a suitable concept

So displaying more important train stations that:

- are more well known, so people would look for them.
- are popular points for people (for stations, more amenities and trains), so marking the ones more likely to be the ones people want (AKA the big station on the big line vs the little unimportant station on the nearby line that has a similar name)

-are better to be mapped because they provide spatial awareness because their location is widely known

Applies equally to mountains or stations.

In Japan, there is a national joke about people showing up in my (tiny) town town to climb my Fuji because the name of the station in my town is "below Mt Fuji" in Chinese. The tiny 6 story tall mountain is named my Fuji, as are hundreds of other little hills and mountains in Japan.

Google used it in a national ad campaign to promote "ok Google", showing a bunch of Americans showing up at the wrong station, and some people could help them (thanks to google translation or whatever).

https://youtu.be/FWDpu0CDfHk

I'm sure the popular train stations near Fuji and the little local stop for grandmas and students to go to the grocery store would have different importance rankings.

Similarly,

Hiding the Mt Fuji red volcano icon under orange little icons for its little labeled points Obscures the more important label of Mt Fuji with labels and icons 99% of people don't care about, right?

Hiding the rendered label of a very important station because it has some other nearby local stations that crowd out its rendering seems like the same thing to me.

Javbw