[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Mar 25 11:20:59 UTC 2016

On 18 March 2016 at 22:15, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net> wrote:

> I agree that an importance tag for mountains is not a suitable concept
> but a importance tag for train stations (or airports) is surveyable and
> suitable for OSM. Just take the timetable or go out and stay one day on
> the platforms, count and note down all stopping trains.

That would allow you to verify (in a very loose sense) the number of
trains; not the importance of the station.

> In addition,
> more important stations often have better/more facilities for
> passengerts like a ticket shop (smaller ones only have vending
> machines), a toilet, backeries, fast food stores, waiting rooms, etc.

That would, allow you to verify a list of facilities, not the
importance of the station.

> If OSM would free of any importance-like tags, we would not have the
> highway=* tag as we have it now. Tagging is highway=primary vs.
> secondary, secondary vs. tertiary, tertiary vs. unclassified is often a
> question of importance, not only width, paving and lane count.

Tagging highways as "primary" or "secondary" is often a matter of
verifiable legal designation.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing