[Tagging] AirBnB

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 06:07:17 UTC 2016

Interesting responses. The location and name of the venue I linked to was
taken from a survey of my area today so the only info I got from the
official AirBnB site is the url of the particular property. I ride around
on a bicycle or motorcycle and add data that is of interest to me and I had
seen the signs for this venue before but today I happened upon it and
thought its exact location would be of value to data consumers like myself.
I have a two AirBnB places reserved in Iceland and Amsterdam this May and
I'm wondering how I'll go about finding them without my trusty GPS to guide
me.

Shawn, I agree that AirBnB properties are privately owned but the same is
true of most hotels and guest houses worldwide. The fact that they are
advertised, on AirBnB and locally on signs, seems to imply that the data is
available for public consumption. But maybe including them in OSM is, as
you suggest,illegal. I'll wait to see what others have to say. I've only
tagged this one place at the moment.

Dave

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-03-19 at 11:41 +0700, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> > I'm looking for a consistent way to tag AirBnB locations.
>
> The only authoritative source for the houses currently offered on Airbnb
> is Airbnb itself. There is a reason Airbnb does not show exact address
> or even exact locations on the map.
>
> This data absolutely, positively, does not belong in OpenStreetMap, as
> there would be no end of ethical, moral, and possibly legal problems
> from doing so. If you've added any of these already, I'd recommend
> quickly reverting the changes.
>
> --
> Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>

Dave Swarthout