[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Fri Mar 25 12:29:00 UTC 2016

Am Freitag, den 25.03.2016, 11:20 +0000 schrieb Andy Mabbett:
> On 18 March 2016 at 22:15, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > I agree that an importance tag for mountains is not a suitable
> > concept
> > but a importance tag for train stations (or airports) is surveyable
> > and
> > suitable for OSM. Just take the timetable or go out and stay one
> > day on
> > the platforms, count and note down all stopping trains.
>
> That would allow you to verify (in a very loose sense) the number of
> trains; not the importance of the station.

Right, this does not indicate the importance. But why do you propose to
map such values, but at the same time say that these values do not
indicate the importance?

> > In addition,
> > more important stations often have better/more facilities for
> > passengerts like a ticket shop (smaller ones only have vending
> > machines), a toilet, backeries, fast food stores, waiting rooms,
> > etc.
>
> That would, allow you to verify a list of facilities, not the
> importance of the station.

Same...

> > If OSM would free of any importance-like tags, we would not have
> > the
> > highway=* tag as we have it now. Tagging is highway=primary vs.
> > secondary, secondary vs. tertiary, tertiary vs. unclassified is
> > often a
> > question of importance, not only width, paving and lane count.
>
> Tagging highways as "primary" or "secondary" is often a matter of
> verifiable legal designation.

No, not really. The definition on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dsecondary does not say
anything about legal designation.

And the German version of this article (you can translate it with
Google Translator) says that a secondary road often corresponds to a
certrain legal designation, but it does not have to. A mapper can also
tag it as primary or tertiary if that describes the type of street
better.

Regards
Alex