[Tagging] tagging sport=shotput or sport=shot_put?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:15:31 UTC 2016

On 29/03/2016 5:53 AM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Warin wrote on 2016/03/28 00:21:
>>> Athletics is another case where multiple disciplines are performed
>>> on the same pitch/track.
>>
>> No!
>>
>> Running sports have a particular track, not used for shot put,
>> hammer, discus, long jump etc etc.
>> I don't think long jump pitches are not used for any other sport? Do
>> you have an example?
>> Discus and hammer throws can share the same 'cage' ... but that means
>> those 'caged' areas cannot be used for javelin, high jump, pole vault
>> etc.
>
> Man!
Sorry. No personal dispute/attack here. Just trying to get the detail
and some small understanding. OK?

> Not all on the same of course. But as there is a high chance that more
> than one sport
> is performed on a particular one, as you just acknowledged, a yes/no
> scheme is more
> helpful than a bunch of contradicting duck tags.
>
> Example, small school sports ground with straight track used for
> sprint+jump:
> sport=athletics
> athletics:sprint=yes
> athletics:long_jump=yes
>
> Thrower place used for 3 kinds:
> sport=athletics
> athletics:shot_put=yes
> athletics:discus_throw=yes
> athletics:hammer_throw=yes

I would map each sport as individual pitches/tracks (running is a track
type thing). Then add the relevant sport to the individual pitch/track.
That way I can 'see' where each sport is.

> > So .. you see sport=running as viable.
> > Then using the same logic sport=shot_put is also viable ... and so
> on for the other 'athletic' sports.
>
> No I just said I would tolerate its existence. So will I also tolerate
> your thrower's pitch
> tagged sport=shot_put, unless I see a kid throwing pebbles from there,
> then I'll come and
> retag it sport=athletics + athletics:shot_put=yes +
> athletics:pebble_throw=yes, because I can't
> encode the pebbles otherwise.

As individuals .. it is not upto 'us' to dictate what is used. :-)

The present 'system' in the sports key is duck tagging.
For example ... football could have been tagged
sport=football
football:soccer=yes

But it is duct tagged
sport=rugby_union   ... not even sport=rugby, rugby=rugby_union !

Is one method better than the other? I don't think there is a clear
winner there, more personal opinion.

My present thinking is to put up both systems .. and see what mappers
prefer ... much like the swimming_pool thing where both amenity and
leisure used it for some time to see what the mappers used most.