[Tagging] service:car for car shops and repair

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:36:04 UTC 2016

Regardless of whether the service tag is "overused for highways", whatever
that means, it is still a tag with a clear meaning and some historical
usage. There currently are about 10K uses of service:bicycle:xx in Taginfo
(xx=:repairs, :retail, and :pump) so it makes sense to expand this scheme.

The tag "sells" is in very limited use at the moment. We had a discussion
concerning "sells" on this list a while ago IIRC and it was dealing with
supermarkets and what they sell, e.g., sells=eggs, sells=toiletries, etc.
Someone was proposing that OSM could include the entire inventory of such
shops, which is IMO clearly beyond the scope of our present database usage.

As for the question posed by Martin regarding a shop=car with a tag of
service=parts, "What does it mean if a shop=car has service=parts attached?
Is it selling car parts?" Yes, it means that a car shop selling cars _also_
sells car parts. The Wiki says that if a shop sells only parts, to use the
shop=car_parts tag.

I don't think this present discussion needs to apply to _all_ shops, as
Warin suggests, but only to the particular top level tags of shop=car,
shop_bicycle, and shop=motorcycle for which some sort of expanded tagging
scheme regarding the services they offer would be very welcome.

I'm not against the "sells" tag but I can't find anything about it in the
Wiki and the most used tag in Taginfo is sells:tobacco with 16 instances.
All the rest have only one instance. So, how should we proceed?

Dave

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01-Nov-16 09:13 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

> sent from a phone
>
> Il giorno 31 ott 2016, alle ore 22:01, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>
> The same 'pattern' should be used for all shops.
>
> service:thing=* where things could be shoe, cloths, etc
>

> like service:wine=bottles;casks;goblets?
> service:harddrives=yes;dealer;defragmentation?
> service:shoes=high_heels;sandals;flip_flops;sneakers? Or
> service:shoes:high_heels=repair? service:shoelaces=dealer?
>
> Why "service"?
>

> Service .. in this instance I would take it as a physical activity that
> may include replacement of parts such as ;
> maintenance (e.g. regular service of a car - oil change etc)
> repair (e.g. replacing a zipper on a jacket)
>
> Parts .. I would see as a sells thing ...
> Most English speakers would never consider 'wine bottle service' , that is
> a selling activity (unless your a glass blower reforming a broken bottle).
> Again this should be common for all shops, and I believe I have had this
> discussion on 'sells' here .. only to have it rejected as 'not for OSM' and
> 'hard to maintain' etc.
> Mappers are tagging this information into the data base .. in any fashion
> .. and that leads to a mess.
> If this tagging group wants to provide guidance on sensible tagging then
> suggest better methods!
>

> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout