[Tagging] better mapping for embankments / slopes

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:03:38 UTC 2016

> 'Embankment' is frequently used for a built-up structure on a steep
> hillside that keeps a road, railroad, or similar feature from sliding into
> a gorge or river. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Embankment_%28transportation%29#/media/File:Embankment_1_%28PSF%29.png
> for an illustration from Wikipedia. Except for the portion crossing the
> tributary stream, the road in the picture is clearly NOT banked on the
> uphill side, so the embankment here is what Warin was describing as
> 'one-sided.'

I would tag the structures in the illustration as "retaining_wall" in OSM.

I guess the contradicting statements may stem from differences between
British and US English (I am German myself with a British-English bias as I
lived in the UK for many years)

BTW there is a similar ambiguity regarding the definition of "pier" between
US and British English.

It's important to create tagging that is not ambiguous so that the data
users can get it right.
I am familiar with the style in Martin's example, as it's used in many maps
in Germany, and I agree with him that we shpuld be able to tag such
features correctly in OSM