[Tagging] BCP 47, Multilingual Standard and OSM

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:35:57 UTC 2016

Hello list,

Please let me clarify :)
I wonder if there is some consensus on multilingual standard about using
BCP 47?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47

In Japan, we have been using "name:ja_rm" or "name:ja_kana" for expression
of Roman writing or pronunciation, traditionally (since around 2010?).
But currently, "name:ja_rm" or some other tags are going to be treated as
deprecated.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names

Problems are...

1. existing tags on objects ("name:ja_rm" and so on)
Maybe mechanical or mass edit would be needed.

I guess this would be huge cost for separation & need cost of existing
Mappy app clients.

2. name:zh
Chinese language is represented as "zh" in ISO639-1.
But as using BCP 47, it is separated in several scheme.
(such as traditional writing in Taiwan, and simplified one in PRC.)

Currently some Chinese languages are intermingled in one "zh" scheme.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Azh#values

Some discussion are already rising on Taiwan mappers.
https://osmtw.hackpad.com/RFC-Multilingual-names-ngewyizFYzN

Your comments welcome!

P.S.
Related information.