[Tagging] cave_entrance. ref and name

ksg ksgeo at web.de
Tue Sep 6 22:15:16 UTC 2016

> Am 06.09.2016 um 09:44 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> Are there any objections to make clear on the cave entrance page that "name" on a cave entrance object is the name of the cave entrance?
>

> Thank you all for your contributions,

Sorry I know I’m late, but was there any positive feedback?

> I have now modified the cave entrance page accordingly to make clear that this is the entrance object, i.e.
> name should be the name of the entrance
> cave:name of the cave it leads to

I understand your intention to remove the inconsistent semantics in cave:ref vs name. But redefining a name tag that is already widespread used (22k objects) is tricky. I would suspect that many cave entrances have no specific names, particularly small caves with just one access.

So we should propose that cave:name is rendered in OSM-carto and considered in Nominatim. And somehow we have to re-tag the old „name" to „cave:name“ in an automated edit - dangerous ground ;)

> ref should be the ref of the entrance (if any), alternatively ref:<org>=* where org is the issuer/maintainer of the ref
> cave:ref for the ref of the cave it leads to.

OK, fully agreed.