[Tagging] cave_entrance. ref and name

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:08:19 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 12:15:16AM +0200, ksg wrote:

> > Am 06.09.2016 um 09:44 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> > Are there any objections to make clear on the cave entrance page that "name" on a cave entrance object is the name of the cave entrance?
> >

> > Thank you all for your contributions,
>
> Sorry I know I’m late, but was there any positive feedback?
>
> > I have now modified the cave entrance page accordingly to make clear that this is the entrance object, i.e.
> > name should be the name of the entrance
> > cave:name of the cave it leads to
>
> I understand your intention to remove the inconsistent semantics in cave:ref vs name. But redefining a name tag that is already widespread used (22k objects) is tricky. I would suspect that many cave entrances have no specific names, particularly small caves with just one access.
>
> So we should propose that cave:name is rendered in OSM-carto and considered in Nominatim. And somehow we have to re-tag the old „name" to „cave:name“ in an automated edit - dangerous ground ;)

16477 of natural=cave_entrance + name out there. Redefining the meaning of
name at this point might not be a good idea.
Perhaps leave name alone and add cave:name and cave_entry:name in cases where
clarification is needed?

Btw the page says cave_entrance is "approved". Does anyone have a link to
the approved proposal.. can't find it?

Regarding "ref", consider this edit: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:natural%3Dcave_entrance&diff=1147798&oldid=1134436

Richard