[Tagging] tunnel=building_passage or covered=yes

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 11 15:53:20 UTC 2016

On 11/09/2016 15:24, Daniel Koć wrote:
> W dniu 11.09.2016 15:48, Dave F napisał(a):
>> On 10/09/2016 12:43, Daniel Koć wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW: There's also another interesting and quite established tag -
>>> highway=corridor, which I've found lately:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcorridor
>>>
>> Oh Great Scott.
>> It doesn't tell anyone who can travel along it. It's useless. All
>> descriptions of a highway should be in secondary tags.
>
> For me that's what the access=* tag is for.

Well, OK. 'Classification' then (which gives indications to who can use it).

> We have dozen primary types and subtypes (_link) of roads defined and
> all the pedestrian squeezed into just 3 general types with no clear
> distinction - I think this is not healthy to treat them as a second
> class citizens any longer.

How are they second class?

> On standard style (osm-carto) you have all the colors to know the road
> class just by looking at it, while we have still no clue when the path
> should be rendered earlier (outdoor) or later (indoor) than standard,
> and this would be very useful, even if still using just one color.

This is where secondary tags become useful. If renderers wants to show,
for instance, all paths in one style, they easily can by filtering just
highway=footway* If they want to differentiate different surfaces*,
access restrictions etc, they can do that by referring to secondary tags.

* On a suggestion by Richard Fairhurst the OSM carto now emphasises a
footway if it has a surface=" sub-tag

Dave F.