[Tagging] Cenotaph WAS Re: Tagging memorial sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 22:28:57 UTC 2016

On 20-Sep-16 12:51 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> tomb=cenotaph sounds perfect, if unusual.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steuben_Memorial_State_Historic_Site#/media/File:Baron_von_Steuben_Monumental_Tomb_Jul_10.jpg
> is the cenotaph that I was mapping when the question arose. Baron von
> Steuben's remains are in an unmarked grave somewhere nearby. The
> 'memorial tomb' was erected, contrary to his express wish to be buried
> in an unmarked grave, decades after his death. It is claimed, but by
> no means certain, that the memorial covers his remains. He is most
> certainly not entombed within it.

Not a 'cenotaph'. _Cenotaphs are not tombs_!

A definition of cenotaph is;
a) a structural monument in memory to a deceased person whose body is
elsewhere (so not a tomb)
b) a municipal, civic, or national memorial to those killed in war.

On the LPI data base (for Australia, New South Wales) there are 13
listed 'cenotaphs'.