[Tagging] Restaurant that doesn't sell alcohol...

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Apr 11 12:49:35 UTC 2017

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 8:46 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
> here is a term 'corkage' which is where a 'posh' restaurant allows you
> to take your own drinks,

Bottle service.  They chill and serve your own wine to you. I think that should be another value of:

Alcohol:wine=bottle_service

Usually there is a "corking fee" (IIRC) for serving you your own wine over the house wine.

I think that when you are talking about amenities, services, and cuisine, how alcohol is handled is part of that. To define one aspect or value but "ignore" another aspect of any mappable item is gonna be infuriating to some mappers (*cough* landuse=civic).

 I do _not_ think stating how common classes of things are handled - especially a commonly signed item - is "listing what is sold". We talk about smoking, handicapped access, parking, fast food vs restaurant, takeaway - all kinds of amenities of a restaurant. This is just another amenity/service/restriction of the business.

Almost all convenience stores in Japan have a sign that states they sell alcohol and another one for tobacco. Those categories are made by the culture. Mapping the data that is important enough to be universally signed is not the same as mapping what brands or varieties is or isn't sold. Vending machines here sell "drinks" or "alcohol" but never both, so there _has_ to be a(n approved) way to define it in tagging if you are mapping vending machines.

How they handle alcohol, in general, at a location could be considered by people who care to map such things as being a similarly important aspect of the services offered there.

Javbw.