[Tagging] Rivers classification

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Aug 8 10:07:04 UTC 2017

W dniu 07.08.2017 o 21:46, Daniel Koć pisze:

> I don't know which classification would be good for my purposes (low
> zoom rendering), but currently we have not a single one defined nor
> used in practice, so I want to start with something. It doesn't need
> to be perfect, maybe simple length=* tag would be useful - but we
> don't even have it currently.

I've just found that length=* tag is quite closely connected to
waterways (almost 72% uses):

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/length#combinations

Taginfo does not show such combination with rivers (it probably omits
anything <1000 uses), but it's 446 lines already:

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/qS7

I'd like to add length=* as Additional tags/Useful combination in some
Wiki articles, like:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Driver
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dcanal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Awaterway%3Dstream

I hope length combined with some simple classification (like
order:classic=1) can be quite useful in case of low zoom rendering.

--
"Like a halo in reverse" [M. Gore]