[Tagging] Fire hydrants vs suction_point

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Aug 17 15:23:51 UTC 2017

On 8/17/17 10:30 AM, Moritz wrote:
> I would rely on the Collins English Dictionary in this point rather
> then on wikipedia [1]
>> (General Engineering) an outlet from a water main, usually consisting
>> of an upright pipe with a valve attached, from which water can be
>> tapped for fighting fires. See also fire hydrant
> According to this definition a dry hydrant is not a hydrant because of
> the lack of connection to the water main.
in actual real world usage, however, they are called dry hydrants by their
users (the fire departments). they are even signed as "dry hydrants" in many
cases. there's such a sign not far from me, i can go take a picture of it.


rwelty at averillpark.net
 Averill Park Networking - GIS & IT Consulting
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search

More information about the Tagging mailing list