[Tagging] Fire hydrants vs suction_point

Moritz osm at moritzmueller.ee
Mon Aug 21 08:24:58 UTC 2017

Hi Richard,

I've also no idea what a proper English word for that could be.

But as suction point is widely used in this case I would stick on em=suction_point.


On 18 August 2017 23:05:57 CEST, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>On 8/18/17 4:33 PM, Moritz wrote:
>> Hi Richard
>>> in actual real world usage, however, they are called dry hydrants by
>>> their
>>> users (the fire departments). they are even signed as "dry hydrants"
>>> many
>>> cases. there's such a sign not far from me, i can go take a picture
>>> it.
>> I think it's a language issue here.
>> Here in Germany these dry hydrants are called suction point (actually
>the German word for it) with proper signs. 
>normal practice in these cases is to fall back on british practice.
>i have no idea what that might be.
>rwelty at averillpark.net
> Averill Park Networking - GIS & IT Consulting
> OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
> Java - Web Applications - Search
>Tagging mailing list
>Tagging at openstreetmap.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20170821/78aae255/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list