[Tagging] lanes=3 + lanes:forward/backward=1 for "semi-divided" roads?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Feb 14 10:25:12 UTC 2017

On 12/02/17 21:56, Mark Wagner wrote:
> I'd consider mapping it as a dual carriageway.  I don't know what the
> law is in Pennsylvania, but here in Idaho, a doubled double-yellow
> line is the legal equivalent of a physical barrier: you are not allowed
> to drive across it for any reason.

Umm... you shouldn't do this. The rule in OSM is that if you cannot
physically drive between the lanes, you should use 2 OSM ways. if you
can physically do it, then use one OSM way (even if that would be illegal).

There are plenty of roads in OSM which you cannot legally drive across
it (in IE/UK an unbroken white line in the middle), which are mapped as
one single OSM way.

You should maintain the OSM convention of single way implies they
"physicallity" of driving across, and says nothing about the legality of
that.