[Tagging] lanes=3 + lanes:forward/backward=1 for "semi-divided" roads?

Dominic Coletti dcoletti.dcair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:02:58 UTC 2017

Rory,

I understand the rationale behind what you say but that still doesn't offer
a viable solution to the roadway. I think it would make sense to at least
tag the center "lane".
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:27 AM Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> On 12/02/17 21:56, Mark Wagner wrote:
> > I'd consider mapping it as a dual carriageway.  I don't know what the
> > law is in Pennsylvania, but here in Idaho, a doubled double-yellow
> > line is the legal equivalent of a physical barrier: you are not allowed
> > to drive across it for any reason.
>
> Umm... you shouldn't do this. The rule in OSM is that if you cannot
> physically drive between the lanes, you should use 2 OSM ways. if you
> can physically do it, then use one OSM way (even if that would be illegal).
>
> There are plenty of roads in OSM which you cannot legally drive across
> it (in IE/UK an unbroken white line in the middle), which are mapped as
> one single OSM way.
>
> You should maintain the OSM convention of single way implies they
> "physicallity" of driving across, and says nothing about the legality of
> that.

*C/CMSgt Dominic Coletti, CAP*
First Sergeant, Raleigh-Wake Composite Squadron
(H) 919-463-9554
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
GoCivilAirPatrol.com <http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-Air-Patrol/107647995924164>