[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:49:34 UTC 2017

On 09-Jan-17 10:01 PM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> On 09.01.2017 01:19, Warin wrote:
>
>> landuse=grass is for the PRODUCTION of grass - Grass is grown here,
>> harvested (with a little soil) and transported somewhere and planted.
>> Then more grass is grown etc.
>>
>> In the same way landuse=forest is for the Production of things from the
>> tress grown there.
>
> No. landuse=* as being used in OSM is not only for production and
> harvesting. You don't harvest residents in landuse=residential, do you?

Nor is it for landuse=recreation_ground ... and so on.

However this use of the tag landuse=grass is not consistent with any
other landuse tag.
It at the very least confuses mappers!

The only 'use' I can think of for grass by the land is that of
production and harvesting.
Anything else is a simple coverage.
The wiki says

/A tag for a smaller areas of mown and managed //*grass*//for example in
the middle of a roundabout, verges beside a road or in the middle of a
dual-carriageway. Should not be used where a more specific tag is
available. /

/It is typical that //landuse
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=*grass*//is misused and
should be changed to //landcover
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=grass
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dgrass>//(for
example: patches of grass between tracks in railway corridor - area that
should be tagged with //landuse
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=railway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drailway>//)./

/
/

So a patch of grass beside a road has a different tag than the same
patch of grass beside a railway!

What happens when the patch of grass has a highway on one side and a
railway on the other ? Ridiculous!!!

Both should be tagged the same way. And the tagging should be logical.

The truth is these grassed areas beside a road or on a median are used
by the road to provide safety - they are landuse=highway.

In some places these areas are not grass beside the road but concrete..
they are still landuse=highway ...but have a different covering.

> On 09.01.2017 10:28, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> > Please remember that the wiki is intended to document what the common
> > use is, not what the common use should be.
> > If you want to change the common use please use the available
> discussion
> > channels before changing the wiki.
>
> Absolutely. The tag is used over 2 Million times already for a
> different purpose than you propose here. Do you even know,
> personally,  a place where rolled sods are harvested?

There are areas near me that are used to produce grass, and there are
areas that produce grass in other parts of the world ... including the
UK, USA etc.
However I have been doing some further thinking on these.

> The wiki page has been reverted. Stop trolling.
>
> tom

Not trolling. Raising the discussion, waving the flag ... this tag is
something I trip over every now and then and it really annoys me.

Where I come across it in my mapping I then to add the tag
landcover=grass ...so both tags are there, in this way it still renders,
but clearly indicates what should be there - and it is not landuse=grass.

Breakfast for me.