[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jan 12 23:31:13 UTC 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 6:50 AM, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
>
> The green spaces ( and concrete or whatever) around a road are part of the infrastructure of a road.

If someone is just mapping a road with a single way, including the sidewalk in the way's tags, I agree-

But in cities where the sidewalks are mapped separately as individual ways, the green space is often the barrier between the walkway/cycleway and the roads and buildings on either side.

We are mapping the electrical cabinets.
Light posts. Electrical poles. Telephone boxes. Signs. Trees. Even curbs. They are not the "driving" part of the road.

This inherently means that the "sides" of urban roads do not belong to the road. They belong to the sidewalks. The sidewalks may have some relation or route value that is shared (I don't know how that goes) - but in many places the route that a pedestrian would take is much different than a cyclist or a car (ped stairs, walkways over busy intersections, tunnels, etc) - Mapping very difficult and varying sidewalks means the chance to map the green barriers as the barriers they are, and the grass that is adjacent to them on the building side.

This means that, to make the micromapping levels the same, we have to be consistent in following the patterns with other tags.