[Tagging] Added tables for values to key produce

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:16:54 UTC 2017

Here's a clarification from an American:

In U.S. English, timber is a term meaning "standing trees". It does not
indicate or specify any particular end use although such trees as you would
find in a "stand of timber" are probably destined for lumber. Timber, once
cut and sawn into boards or beams, is then called lumber. Some grades of
timber might be converted to chips or pulp for paper but most probably
lumber will be the end product.

I have often heard the term "pulpwood" to describe the fast-growing trees
that are grown for paper making. Such stands of pulpwood would, IMO,
generally also be tagged with landuse=forest as well as produce=pulp (or
wood_pulp). For that matter, stands of timber are often planted that same
way, in rows spaced to maximize the output.

produce=timber works fine for me

Best,
Dave

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> On 13 Jan 2017, at 22:44, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> tag: produce=timber description: Trees harvested for *timber
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber>*, called 'lumber' in north America.
> Further processing results in sawn wood, wood chips, paper.
>

> wood chips and paper are excluded by timber though, not? I'm not sure an
> exclusive produce=timber makes a lot of sense, typically all parts of a
> tree are used. The best wood is used for furniture, veneers, then
> construction wood, and finally what remains becomes wood chips, paper,
> chipboard or pellets...
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout