[Tagging] Power Tower Landuse = ?

Mark Bradley ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 13:39:08 UTC 2017

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 18:30:31 +0800
> From: Jherome Miguel <jheromemiguel at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Power Tower Landuse = ?
>

> Though I came lately here, I agree. Indicating the type of industrial area will help
> indicate the industry where the piece of land is used.
>
> --TagaSanPedroAko
>
> On Jul 4, 2017 6:08 PM, "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> it seems like other long-term infrastructure (power towers,
> >> communication
> >> towers) are suggested to be landuse=industrial.
> >>
> >> I really think there should be some kind of subtag then, because not
> >> only can you define what and why you are tagging, but it allows
> >> presets to be easily created in iD and searched by new taggers.
> >>
> >> industrial=power, industrial=communication, etc.
> >>

> > I agree that a formalization of industrial subtags would be really
> > desirable. There are many different kind of things that get this same
> > landuse property, e.g. warehouses, production facilities, logistical
> > infrastructure (ports, distribution centres, ...).
> >
> > For the German context (but likely also for other places), there
> > should be also a distinction for "light industry" (Gewerbe).
> >
> > Then it seems strange we don't have yet a standardized list of typical
> > top level categories (e.g. automotive, textile, semiconductors,
> > electronics, energy, machinery, mining, ...)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Martin

I nominate Martin, John Willis, and a few others on this list to form a committee and formulate an organized tagging structure for OSM.  You guys are intelligent and thoughtful and I would trust you to come up with a good solution.  I'm tired of the endless debating back and forth on this list that seldom goes anywhere.

I know this won't happen, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts.

Mark