[Tagging] admin_level with office=government

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 08:45:08 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 21. Jul 2017, at 03:19, Nelson A. de Oliveira <naoliv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Complementing, why not just use ownership
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ownership, operator
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator or something else,
> instead using a tag created for borders?

admittedly there is not much documentation in the wiki, there isn't even a key page, only a redirect to boundary=administrative with this paragraph:

"admin_level=1 to 10 has been introduced in order that different borders can be rendered consistently among countries (doing this based on border_type would require knowledge of their hierarchy in each country).
Besides administrative boundaries, the admin_level=* tag may also be used on features tagged with government=*. The admin_level=*values described below also apply to the capital=* and heritage=* tags."

—__

I propose something much more explicit like "admin_level describes the administrative level of an object within a government hierarchy. A lower level means higher in the hierarchy. This tag is used for the borders of territorial political entities (e.g. country, state, municipality) together with boundary=administrative. Due to cultural political differences, admin levels of different countries only correspond approximately to each other."

as a first paragraph.

Objections or additions?

Cheers,

Martin