[Tagging] Recommendation for building tags

Vozniuk Taras taras.vozniuk at geothings.tw
Thu Jul 27 06:52:12 UTC 2017

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the response.

1. Whether the building is permanent or not.

> what are your definitions for semipermanent and non-permanent?

So non-permanent is a building structure constructed for a defined short period of time. Like Circus tent for example. It stays there for a defined 1 month.
I can also imagine temporary warehouses / tents during the harvest period at countryside-marketplaces or movable markets, though I cannot really give a good real-life example.
Something like this: https://goo.gl/images/nMf3gQ <https://goo.gl/images/nMf3gQ>

Semi-permanent are constructions that are technically non-permanent but stay there for an indefinite amount of time. Something like we have a trailer house that just stays there and it’s not intended to be moved anytime in future.

This differentiation is confusing however it is important to make this differentiation - semi-permanent buildings usually have a stronger strategic value then non-permanent. In case of evacuation - non-permanent structures can be easily deconstructed or abandoned, but semi-permanent might not. And the inhabitants might be less resistant to get evacuated if they inhabit semi-permenent structure comparing to permanent building.

2. Whether the building is permanent or not.

So do you think it a good idea to map existence of basement of the building by building_levels:underground = yes

3. Shape of the building

> we map the shape (maximum of all horizontal sections of all levels) in geometry (way)

We need this for statistic purposes. To make it human-readable, the proposal was to have values like {box, rectangular, t-shaped, l-shaped}.
Ideally a classifier can be trained to derive these values from raw way geometry, but we still need to come up with reasonable common building shapes that are acceptable to be included in OSM data.
Any suggestions?

4. Slope of the site where building is located.

> we don't map it. Where would you attach this tag to?

Attached to building. The damage form disasters like flood will be highly-related to this surface slope.

Again thanks a lot for your feedback.

Best,
Taras.