[Tagging] Recommendation for building tags

Vozniuk Taras taras.vozniuk at geothings.tw
Thu Jul 27 11:30:33 UTC 2017

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Whether the building is permanent or not.

> by default, a building is permanent :)
> you can use temporary=yes

> Your ranking is linked to the strength of the building,
> much more than its temporary nature.
> maybe look at building:material=semi-permanent
> but it is a not documented value and very subjective.
> or a new value like temporary=theorical
> or temporary=yes + temporary:date_off=never

Thanks for explaining. So then in order to have no confusion, we give user the binary selection:
{permanent, temporary}. If he selects temporary -> he can then optionally with a date picker specify the end date.
That would then map to your guidelines.

2. Whether building has basement or not.

Ok, so I guess when user selects basement -> yes, he then needs to specify how many underground floors building contains.
So then it will be the set to the numerical value that will consistent with what is mapped.

3. Shape of the building.

> it is done by geometry of the building, not a tag.
> I found building:shape with a very low usage.
> Maybe you 'll make a proposal to a proposal to clarify this

It’s used as one of the factors to understand how vulnerable is this structure to a disaster.

These are the values we have been given, we need some time to clarify why there are specific t-shaped, l-shaped and so on.
I assume then we remove this field from our feature preset, and if we will then come up with reasonable explanation -> we will file the proposal
The rationale for mapping this personally for me is: we cannot really derive t-shaped, l-shaped and so on from plain geometry in a simple way (non-supervised), as long as human doesn’t look on the building.
And for a supervised way -> we need to collect large-enough sample of correctly tagged buildings to have classifier tagging it accurately.
So storing them as tags will certainly help to avoid the hustle of doing that for anybody who wants to make use of this data.

4. Slope of the site where building is located.

> the best would be to put a entrance node on the building outline
> add a step_count with the number of step (also 0)
> add a incline=up/down
>
> add a way between the road and the entrance
> if it is a staircase highway=steps + incline=up/down
> if it is not a staircase, highway=path + incline=up/down

I guess we are talking about a bit different things.
I mean exactly this case - https://goo.gl/images/2ofQXr <https://goo.gl/images/2ofQXr>
which will be like building:incline = up?
It would be good if we have a choice of just specifying whether the site is steep or not.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Taras.