[Tagging] Names containing abbreviations that are the official name

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Jul 27 20:20:54 UTC 2017

On 27.07.2017 13:14, Adam Snape wrote:
> As long as it was clear from the tag (as it is in your example) that it was a spoken rather than
> written form of the name then I wouldn't have  a problem with it. To be most useful such a tag
> should not just exist for TTS software, it could also be of use where the pronunciation is not clear
> from the spelling eg. Edinburgh.

There are pronunciation dictionaries for different languages, which are not thicker than spelling
dictionaries. In electronic form they would measure in kilobytes, and be included in the dozens of
megabytes a TTS engine comes with, for each language module. So the correct spelling of common
geonames as Edinburgh should be an easy exercise.

I am still surprised however how badly implemented even the market leaders are, and poorly prepared
for the most common application nowadays, navigation. My German TTS still speaks "-straße" (-street)
inconsistently wrong.

> On 27 July 2017 at 11:49, Michal Fabík <michal.fabik at gmail.com <mailto:michal.fabik at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     speaking of pronunciation, I was thinking about this too. In Czechia,
>     we have many cases of official street names containing abbreviations
>     and sometimes numbers, such as "Charles IV. sq.".

I have doubts that "sq." is the official name. I believe the official name would be "square", even
when it is abbreviated on the street signs to save by making smaller signs.

tom