[Tagging] Names containing abbreviations that are the official name

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 20:33:49 UTC 2017

On 27.7.2017 22:20, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> I have doubts that "sq." is the official name. I believe the official
> name would be "square", even when it is abbreviated on the street signs
> to save by making smaller signs.

No, some of the official, legally binding, names prescribed by
respective authorities really do contain abbreviations. There are even
cases of a "Masaryk ave." and a "Palacký avenue" (one abbreviated,
another not) in the same city. I once tried to make this consistent by
looking up all the abbreviations through Overpass and "fixing" them, but
it wasn't taken well (to put it mildly) by the local community because
of this very fact.
And even if there were no abbreviations, there's still the problem with
numbers.

Regards,

--
Michal Fabík