[Tagging] Truck Parking

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 11:00:17 UTC 2017

On 03-Jun-17 06:17 PM, John Willis wrote:

> Javbw
>> On Jun 3, 2017, at 8:08 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> hgv=yes/designated and
>>
>> capacity:hgv=yes/number
> For designating handicapped parking lots (which are often separate here in Japan at large POIs) I have tagged them:
>
> Amenity=parking
> Access=no
> Access:disabled=designated
> Capacity=x
> Capacity=disabled=x
>
> I don't think that is documented (and possibly incorrect), but I imagine this idea  would work well for any motor vehicle parking, as we have no way to tag for the various size separations (and designation combinations that vary from region to region) that currently exist insides the "4+ wheeled Motor vehicle class)
>
> ✔️bicycle
> ✔️motorcycle
> ✔️Car
> ❌truck (HGV)
> ❌bus (HGV, but separated in Japan)
> ❌motorhome
>
> Various designations based on the occupants:
>
> ❌disabled car/van
> ❌pregnant
> ❌elderly
> ❌student
>

> And various other classes of designated parking (emergency, service, taxi,etc)
>
> If we use this format:
> Al
> Access:foo=designated
> (Where foo is an existing type), then amenity=parking can be broken up using access, and can handle various types of combinations as it exists in the real world
>
> Amenity=parking
> Access=permissive
> Access:hgv=yes
> Access:motor_vehicle=no
> Access:bus=designated
>
> But there is also some existing tags:
>
> Disabled=designated
> HGV=designated
> Bus=designated
>
> These also exist, so I am not sure how this reconciles.

? Goes against

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:capacity with some 300,000 uses.
For example ..
capacity:disabled=no/yes/number rather than Capacity=disabled=x Perhaps you meant that anyway.

And there is this which I am following http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/More_Parking_Spaces
This has more types of vehicles, though not all.
I am not mentioning the Australian road trains :P Those have special areas and, if they park, they park a fair way away from anything else.

So the above Access:hgv=yes could become capacity:hgv=yes (or a number where the number of spaces are known).

The OSM access difference between hgv=yes and hgv=designated issubtle  ... both are legal access, the 'designated' adds a preference for this above 'yes'.

The capacity tags means that it can be used by that kind of thing, not exclusive. Others could take all the space...
Humm much like hgv=yes ... the advantage of capacity is specifying the number.

In some places I have separated the parking areas up into the usages ..
so the disabled spots have there own way with amenity=parking, capacity:disabled=2 for example.
I suppose I should add access=no disabled=designated as that would be strictly correct.
This means that the disabled spots should get rendered separately and aid those concerned getting to the right place.
I think that helps them, when I can be bothered.

The thing is that the hgv spaces do get used by caravans too and possibly buses too .. not certain as to the signs on the ground, as I don't recall them!

I'll think more on it.
At the moment my thought is that it would be of more use to tag those spots that cannot be used by hgvs etc.