[Tagging] Traffic training area ("Verkehrsübungsplatz" in German)

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Jun 13 14:20:33 UTC 2017

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 3:33 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> According to WP, a proving ground is the AE word for a training area (military).
> Probably "proving_ground" is highly misleading and not sufficiently specific as a word for these.
> I have found "driver training area" as a word that fits (IMHO) well the needs. The tag could be

Off topic, and I haven’t read the WP article, but from back in the days I worked in the defense industry a proving ground was where new military equipment was tested (i.e. proved to work). There might be some training happening at a proving ground, but that would be incidental. This was from decades ago, so maybe the military has changed how they do things.

From usage, I have assumed that the proving grounds owned and/or operated by automobile manufacturing companies were the same basic idea: A place to prove new products work and to find things that need redesign before the product enters production.

A driver training facility might be very similar to a auto manufacturer’s proving ground physically (high speed tracks, areas for performing skid tests, etc.). Or it might not. But in any case I believe a proving ground tag in OSM is not a good fit.