[Tagging] dispersed settlements / scattered settlements

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 10:30:55 UTC 2017

> Currently we categorize settlements by number of inhabitants, modified
> by importance. I would rather not open another dimension. The type of
> of a settlement can be deduced by processing the landuse inside. If
> there is use in a binary (yes/no) property it should be added to the
> place=* feature: e.g. dispersed_settlement=yes. But this looks more
> like job for Wikidata.

we base our settlement classification not only on population, the
population numbers serve as an indicator what size we expect from certain
classes in certain areas, but they are not hard limits. Other factors we
consider: part of a settlement or whole settlement, functional/cultural
parameters (a place which is officially a "town" in Italy will be a town in
OSM, a place which isn't a "town" will not become more than a "village")
and maybe more.

Cheers,
Martin