[Tagging] Undiscussed changes for wki pages about access mode "designated".

Mariusz mariusz24 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 19:56:24 UTC 2017

W dniu 2017-03-10 o 20:25, Frederik Ramm pisze:

> As far as I can see the change you are referring to is
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Aaccess&type=revision&diff=1440112&oldid=1439975
>
> before that, "access=designated" wasn't even on the "Key:access" page,
> and Verdy_p added it there:
>
> ''(disapproved)'' A preferred or designated route for the class of
> traffic specified by the tag key, such as {{tag|foot|designated}}. Using
> this value with the plain access key, {{tag|access|designated}}, has no
> meaning, and should '''not''' be used. ''(see [[#Transport mode
> restrictions]])''

This is obviously incorrect change, as this page is about all access
keys, not single "access" tag.
The notation he used suggests that the value "designated" is deprecated.
The wording is inconvenient, the strike-through font for designated is
misleading.

> On https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated, Verdy_p
> added a banner saying "NOTE! The exact key/value combination
> access=designated should never appear on an object. The value
> *=designated must be used with a specific mode of transport. Examples:
> bicycle=designated or foot=designated." - he made this change without
> any change comment.
>
> The user rafmar (you?) seems to have assumed that Verdy_p wanted to
> discourage the use of all "designated" values, but to be fair to
> Verdy_p, the banner explicitly says you SHOULD use the "designated"
> value, just not with the "access" key.

I'm pretty sure he wanted discouraged only "access=designated", not
foot=designated or bicycle=designated, but he failed.
Unfortunately, this wiki article is for all *=designated tags, as the
foot/bicycle/horse tag pages redirect to that page. Some changes are
necessary, but not that kind.

> BUT in this particular case, rafmar's complaint seems to be unfounded
> and based on a misunderstanding.

Imagine, you are beginner and want to find if it is ok to use
foot=designated tag. What wiki page says so now?

Mariusz/rafmar